Topic: Spiderbait

Home Rockwheelers Forums Trails Spiderbait

• Author
    Gazza

Saw there looked to be some poisoning of the grass on Spiderbait this morning.  Does anyone know if this is in fact poisoning?  It was only on the trail near the lookout end of the loop.

Spiderbait
    I am not a big fan of poisoning at the best of times – but this seems a bit excessive being sprayed too wide in an area that is not really a problem.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Noddy
    Participant

That was me… haven’t had a chance to see if everywhere else is dying yet… I’ve sprayed top of rnr2, lower rnr1, lower frog, upper wedgetail, upper redtail, stuart old side 1&2.

Coop
    Participant

<!–more–> Looks good noddy. Great effort getting this done before the grass really takes off and we’ll all be spending hours on the whipper snippers. Excellent foresight.

Test
    Participant

Yep we need more of that foresight 🙂

Dags
    Participant

I sprayed Sticks and Stones about 6 weeks ago and sprayed out the pack on Easy Street below the SnS exit on the way out.
    Looks like it was very effective ?

Gazza

The debate on poison continues….. while I can see poison has a use in some places where the trail is not well defined, the overspray required to stop the tall grass impacting the trail really makes them ugly.

Welcome to the forums Dags 🙂

Dags
    Participant

For me, the ideal outcome would be to create a small corridor from a couple of seasons of spraying that requires very little grass cutting allowing the bulk of our volunteer labour to be used where it should be, on trail maintenance and erosion control, not spending weeks cutting mountains of grass. You may think the poisoned grass looks ugly while its dying but I think eroded, rocky trails look worse

Gazza

We desire the same outcome-just through different methods. 🙂 You hit the nail on the head with volunteers, not enough!

Regarding ugly, just come back from riding Spiderbait. The section from the top of Tree Frog down to Taipan is a clear trail with grass right up to the edge=attractive. The section beyond Taipan up to the end at the lookout has been poisoned and has a wide brown strip either side more rocks and dirt than dead grass = ugly. I would also argue that less grass equals more erosion too, but that is a whole other topic as trail use and design also affect it.

Interesting article in the paper today.
    Bulletin-6July17

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.