Topic: Dam Dark 2017 – 28/29 October

Home Rockwheelers Forums XC Rides Dam Dark 2017 – 28/29 October

• Author
    Gazza

The Dam Dark 2017 web site is in the event pages here;

https://www.rockwheelers.com.au/event/dam-dark-2017/

While most relevant information will be displayed there I will update this post with some timely reminders and information.

Being our end of year event and intended to make no profit but give everyone a good time I encourage all member from all categories to come and give the Dam Dark a go. Not only does the modest entry give you a bike race, it comes with a free T shirt, a sausage sizzle dinner, pizza at midnight and a free breakfast plus a host of give aways, novelty events and special challenges.

So come and ride the dark – Dam Dark 2017

Gazza

Registrations for the Dam Dark 2017 are now open;
    https://online.mtba.asn.au/ERegister.aspx?E=3936

Some key dates to remember;
    Online registration closes on: 13/10/2017 at 8:00 PM – We need this lead time to get the right T shirt sizes πŸ™‚

Social Rides around the different courses is scheduled as follows;
    Thursday 05 October – Course 1
    Thursday 12 October – Course 2
    Thursday 19 October – Course 3

Working Bees to get the trails sorted; Getting as many helpers as possible will give all riders the smoothest course πŸ™‚ If you can’t help out on these dates but would like to do something please let me know.
    Sunday – 1 October Working Bee 1
    Sunday – 15 October Working Bee 2

Race details are on the events page here;

Gazza

I am looking for some helpers. If you would like to be involved check out this list and let me know what you would like to do πŸ™‚ None are too hard; riders and teams can be involved – I will arrange timing around your riding schedule. πŸ™‚
    Commissaire: club legalities.
    First Aid: manage first aid requirements during the event. Riders with qualifications please let us know.
    MC / Announcer: Ability to speak into a microphone – play music, pass on info to the crowd and make announcements before, during and at post race presentations.
    Sweep Riders: Assist with course changes and sweeping the old course for stragglers. Two preferred. Can be competitors in a team who help out when not riding.
    Set up/pack up laborers: Setup and pack up will be minimal on the day.
    Car Parking Marshals: Assist and direct people into camping spots that don’t block the passageways and keeps the camp ground neat.
    Gate Troll: Man the gate before the race. Will be finished before the race.

Club Gear Trailer Transport: Pick up from Velodrome Saturday morning and deliver to the dam. Return after the race on Sunday. 1 driver with a vehicle that tows.
    Toilet Delivery: Pick up and return the toilet trailer to Norquip Hire at Stuart. Require a car that tows.

Gazza

Xdress
    You better come to the Dam Dark to find out.

Our first novelty event of the evening is our best dressed male and female riders so be sure to come dressed appropriately for our end of year gala event. But to make it even more special, the men must be dressed in ladies clothing and the ladies must be dressed as men.

Ride the first lap in your outfit to be in the running for a coffee/ice cream voucher.

Ride the Dark – Dam Dark 2017

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Gazza

Working Bees

We have 2 official and 1 non official working bee to get the dam trails into top condition. The main job will be brush cutting and giving the trails a good rake and knocking out the bigger lumpier rocks.

Dates and times are as follows;
    Saturday 23 September (6:30am to 10:00am)
    Sunday 1 October (6:30am to 10:00am)
    Sunday 15 October (6:30am to 10:00am).

Please let me know who is coming so i can arrange the right amount of tools and some refreshments for the workers πŸ™‚ Either post here or email me at damdark at rockwheelers dot com dot au.

If these dates and times don’t suit you or your friends, let me know and I can get permission for entry outside the normal trail times.

Gazza

The course has been selected to be ride-able by the majority including new and inexperienced riders. There are no steep hills and no super technical sections. However, as always all riders should ride within their capability and walk anything they are not sure of.

Anyone new to riding in general or inexperienced riding under lights are encouraged to attend the social rides to familiarize themselves with the trails and the conditions.

Course 1
    Dam-Dark-Course-1-A

Course 2
    Dam-Dark-Course-2-A

Course 3
    Dam-Dark-Course-3-A

Attachments:
    Gazza

To keep everyone fueled up through through the night we will have several food outlets running at various times;

The juniors will be running a sausage sizzle early in the evening which is free for all riders.

Archer Coffee https://www.facebook.com/Archer-Coffee-450803225044790/)">(https://www.facebook.com/Archer-Coffee-450803225044790/) will have a van on site and be open all night for all your caffeine requirements
    Archer-Coffee2

Awesome Super Kool 4 Ice cream (https://www.facebook.com/ask4icecream/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE%5B/url%5D) will also have a van on site up until 1am, so you don’t lose your head grab something to keep your cool.
    Losing-your-head

Rockwheelers will be giving away prize vouchers for coffee or ice cream in our novelty events – so make sure you get in line and have a go.

Of course there will be pizza at midnight and a bacon and egg roll for breakfast for all riders as well.

Attachments:
    Gazza

I am still looking for any volunteers to help out with the Dam Dark. One of the easiest and most helpful tasks I need done is transporting the club trail to and from the event and someone to pick up and drop off the toilet.

Club Gear Trailer Transport: Pick up from Velodrome Saturday morning and deliver to the dam at 2pm. Return after the race on Sunday. 1 driver with a vehicle that tows. The trailer will be packed all you need to do is attach it to your car.

Toilet Delivery: Pick up and return the toilet trailer to Norquip Hire at Stuart. Require a car that tows. The trailer can be picked up Friday or I can arrange another time. To return just park it at the front of the business and lock it up with the lock provided.

Gazza

Thanks to Lou, Leah, Cheryl, David, Shaun, Daniel, Richard and Suzie for helping out at the working bee this morning.

We have made a good start raking Roller Coaster and Warrigal. Still plenty more to be done so if you have some free time next weekend the next working bee is 6:30am at the dam gate.

Gazza

For all the campers and visitors here is a map of the village set up;
    Parking-and-Camping

Camping is in the main part of the quarry. Please keep the cars in this area to a minimum. All cars not required and especially those not staying all night should be removed to the parking areas marked in red as we don’t want cars moving around the camping area after the race has started.

Also, can you refrain from parking in the area between the lines marked R and B. This is our start area. It can also be used for our littlest riders as a safe area to ride.

Attachments:
    Gazza

flat-tire-flats
    The trails at Ross Dam can be rocky in places which may cause pinch flats. Going tubeless is the best way to ensure your tyres stay up and with you all night.

See your LBS or contact the team at BNG Cycles (https://www.bngsports.com.au/) for the best advice on tubeless kits and fit out.

Attachments:
    Gazza

Thanks to the help of Greg, Mozzy and Suzie we got a good bit of the trails done at the working bee this morning.

So far Rollercoaster, Warrigal, Rubber Snake and Jet Stream have been cut and plenty of raking done.

Still plenty more to be done, so if you have some free time the next working bee is 6:30am on Sunday 15 October at the dam gate.

Gazza

The Dam Dark uses an electronic timing chip to record laps ridden by a team or individual. The timing chip will be issued at registration – one per entry which is one per person for solo riders and one per team for team riders.

Place the timing chip (on its holder) over the finger on either hand. The front of the chip is towards the tips on your fingers and is held in place by the strap around your finger. As you clench a fist the tip projects out beyond your hand.
    Timing-Chip
    At the end of your lap insert the tip of the timing chip into timer set up outside the Rockwheelers tent. That will record the lap you have just ridden.

Remember when you stop riding at the end of the race hand in the chip so we can calculate your results.

Attachments:
    Gazza

Less than 2 weeks till entries close. Remember we close entries early this year to get the T shirt sizes to the printer – you do want a free T shirt don’t you?
    FreeT

Attachments:
    Gazza

25 riders were at the first social course preview ride on Thursday evening. The course is riding great. Not a lot of riders get out to the dam trails which means they haven’t broken down or rutted from use.
    two-bikes
    There are a few rocky areas and some places that still need to be cut – but lucky we have another working bee on 15 October to clean up those last few spots.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.